Monday, August 15, 2011

Friends, Shopping, Stars, Secret Creeks, Black Eyed Susans, The First Glimpses of Fall

I just had one of the most soul-soothing, life assuring weekends ever. After a blistering, too busy Summer here in the Heartland, this weekend of cooler days and leaf-crunching-ly-crisp evenings has been a balm on parched hearts. It all started on

FRIDAY:

when work seemed extra long and I was worried about how to work out my car's brake situation. Thankfully, I hitched a ride to work with Bethany and Dinah. When it was finally time to go home, I was so tired. My schedule has been all messed up from the air being out in the upstairs of our house (where I live) and then trying to pack to move. I can't think in serious disorganization, and since I am trying to organize everything before the move, I have stuff everywhere. It's very frustrating, but I'll make it. So I came home and fell asleep at the very late hour of 6:30 pm and slept until 6:00 am the next day (does that express how tired I was? I think so.). The sleep did me so much good. When I woke up on

SATURDAY:

I cleaned for a while and then went to Red Lobster with my mom for an early lunch. It was so nice, I haven't been to Red Lobster in a while, and mom is the best person to go there with, so we had a nice time. We got to talk about lots of good things and eat cheddar biscuits. What's not to love about that situation?
Straight from there I was picked up by Bethany to go out for a few hours of marathon shopping (the only kind of shopping Bethany does). We went to like 5 stores in 3 hours and pilfered their clearance racks. It was super nice because it was the first real time she and I had really been able to hang out with just each other since her wedding in April. I was thankful for that little bit of time. I bought a new pair of boots (like, early-19th-century-over-the-knee-buttons-all-the-way-up-brown-riding-boots style boots) and a dress that looks like it was made in 1926.
After that, Gabe and I got our stuff together and headed to the cabin, where we had planned our little brother Luke's Post MCAT party. Luke and Chelsey (his wife) showed up early and we had lots of fun together. Soon people started showing up: Keith, Chris, Heather, Samantha, Josh, and some more people that Luke and Gabe knew but Chelsey and I were having too much fun to remember their names. It was just such a great time with our friends. Finally, at around 3:30, I went to bed. When I woke up on

SUNDAY:

it was a beautiful day outside. It was so quiet in the house that I just silently found a copy of Shakespeare and started reading in front of Gabe's window. Gabe wasn't ever going to wake up (he was getting in bed as I was waking up) so I figured I was stuck at the cabin all day. Thankfully, Josh remembered that I car-less, and he offered to take me to church. I took him up on that and away we went. We drove North in the most beautiful weather ever, and the sun was so kind. We were running early, so he showed me a beautiful field where you can see the sky spilling out onto the world for forever. And because it was so vast and open, it was super breezy and lovely and sparkling. Eventually, we moved on to church, which was good. I love being at his church because I get to see so many people I love. There is so much hugging and laughing. Recognition. Assurance of my existence. Afterwards, a huge group of us went to Las Maracas for Josh's birthday (it was on the 12th, but he got to party all weekend). I got to see his sweet little niece Ally and his sister Amanda, two people I don't get to see enough of. The staff of the restaurant were, of course, informed that it was his birthday and he got the sombrero and whip cream in the face that he deserved for being 25 years old. We laughed. It was decided, since Ben's girlfriend had never seen it, that we should watch Nacho Libre at Travis' house. We did. We laughed. Then we thought hide-and-seek would be fun (as I always do), but we were sadly out-whined by people who wanted to do nothing, so Josh, Sam and I drove to a certain awesome road in the country that Josh had been wanting to show me, and there we found gold: a secret creek. Adventure set up residence in our hearts. We climbed, very carefully down an embankment to the water. There where so few traces of modern life (some graffiti) down there. It was enchanted. I pulled my awesome new boots off and went into the water. Josh and Sam taught me how to skip stones, which I've never known how to do. I was so content to just wander around down in that little valley. Sam started climbing the rock wall on the side of the creek and he made it all the way down to a bit of a bridge of rocks and came out to meet where Josh and I had found some black eyed Susans (I made us crowns). Then we saw it: a path. Of course, paths are made to be followed, so we did. We walked a little while until we came out in a clearing where a little farm that looked like it was 200 years old was resting. A red-ish barn, cows, and small crops, all looking very sleepy and spellbound peered back at us. The world had grown up around this place, and we felt lucky to have seen it, and that we should leave it be. It was getting dark, so we reluctantly headed back to our car and drove to the church. When we got there, lots of people were playing volleyball, so we sat around and laughed and had fun for a couple of hours.
But there was one final adventure to be had that night: we needed a shooting star.
The three of us drove out to the wide open field from that morning, wrapped ourselves in warm blankets, and searched for stars (Keith came and joined us too). Suddenly, we threw our arms up and pointed at what was a beaming bright shooting star that split into two pieces and kept going. We were amazed.



Soon it was time to go home, since we had to work the next day. I hadn't felt tired under the stars, but I slept most of the way home, I guess I was just too heavy with adventure and contentment to stay awake, so I slept. I love my life.

Sunday was one of the best days. I felt so alive, and like everything was the way it should be. Like it was almost Fall. And when I got home I found that my wonderful dad had fixed my brakes. Mmmm.

It's all going to work out fine. Better than fine. Better than we could have imagined.

No comments: