Wednesday, November 30, 2005

What goes on

Well, it's Wednesday! I just have awakened from a pleasant and refreshing nap (It's 3:47 pm here) and my brain is running in fifty different directions, so bear with me. I've survived thus far, and all is easy till exams, starting next Wednesday.

I was sleepy because this morning I woke up at 5:00 am to finish my paper for English on the theme of Art in John Fowles' "The Collector". I opted to go see 'Walk the Line' with my friend instead of working on it last night. But she is getting married in June and I won't get to see her for a while, so we had a grand time! I really liked the movie a lot, and the song 'The Ring of Fire' has been stuck in my head ever since! Funny, but I really want to listen to some Johnny Cash now. How bizarre!
Yesterday in art we drew (well more like we charcoal-ed) a copy of Pablo Picasso's self portrait when he was 19. He was pretty creepy looking! But it gets scarier: Then we had to draw self portraits! When Mrs.Gill told us to 'over exaggerate the shadows', I took her quite literally! Using charcoal, I drew my face. When I was done, I laughed. It was like I had reverse-Michael Jackson-syndrome! If you have seen me, I am about as pale as they come, which was not the case with my portrait! So I erased. And erased some more, till I thought it looked ok. Well in the end, my friend said to title it El-Meiska because I looked quite Latin. So I gave up. Will I ever be able to draw a self portrait? Who knows.
Last Thursday for art we went downtown to see the Rau exhibit, everyone should rush out right now and go see it! I was like a foot away from TWO Fra Angelico's! The very same paintings that inspired a 19 year old Dante Gabriel Rossetti to begin the Pre-Raphaelite Movement! Ahhh!
Speaking of art, Monday I was talking to Mrs.Gill in her office. Her office is in the older office building and has huge windows and tall ceilings. If I had that office, I would never get anything done, not with those windows! Anyway, we were talking about my schedule for spring, and got off on Christians in the Visual Arts, and how there aren't any hardly. To my supreme delight she understood exactly what I meant and encouraged me! We had a great time and I didn't even mind getting soaked on the way back (talk about a storm!)! So I have had an over-all good half week!
Now I think I'll finish my new skirt I'm making. It's going to be really cool, it's long black lace in tiers and is longer in the back. I decided since December was coming up, I needed some new victorian-inspired clothes ( isn't that exactly what you were thinking?). I also am planning a art nouveau-y green coat with a standing collar. I know, you're all so excited. Well, try to contain it, they aren't finished yet!
Well, that's all for now! Oh wait, I'm now on day 10 of my crusade angainst my hair straightener, isn't that interesting?!
Thanks for reading my ramblings! Get ready for December, it's so wonderful and romantical and sparkly! Let the magic begin!

4 comments:

Katie said...

The Rau collection came to P-town last year I think. It was fantastic! I loved it all.

Your clothing creations sound fun. You'll have to attempt another self portrait of you in them. :-)

crossblade said...

Victorian clothing that sounds cool :)..
Shakesphere's taking its toll on you rite....he he....just kiddding
have a great time at school :)
I'm not much of a poet but I like this thing "Words without thoughts never to heaven go."--
Willam Shakesphere
God bless you
prayers
thomas

Andrew Price said...

This is my favorite kind of post; the kind where the author just lifts a latch and lets his or her personality spill all over the place. You've got personality in barrel loads, your majesty, which makes this post especially fun.

Hooray for ramblers!

Meiska said...

This is my favorite kind of post too, it comes easiest for I am indeed a rambler! Glad you liked it.