Thursday, January 20, 2005

The Stage of Blinding Lights

Funny how U2 can influence the title of a post, right?


I was thinking about the allure of the stage. Tommorrow night, my high school play 'debuts'(if you will) it's first ever production,"Just Desserts and Make Believe." I am out of the class, but the teacher wanted me to be in it, so I conceded. She asked me the very same day I asked her for help. I needed help with audition pieces, you know short scripts and one minute songs. That weekend I was going to audition for the part of Belle in The Beauty and the Beast at a theatre in Franklin. However, I became ill so I could not sing, I couldn't even talk! So I agreed to take part in the school play. But why? Why is it that acting like somene you aren't is so appealing? I asked some friends this same question and most said the costumes. That doesn't apply to me though because( you can ask Foolish Knight, Princess of Mirkwood, Penny Lane Blair, etc) I always dress that way. For example, my principal asked me today if what I had on was my costume. I laughed and then he realized it wasn't and said, "I should have known!"
Maybe I will never know my reason for wanting to be in a play or musical, but if you know why, do tell! If you to have felt the call of the stage, and know what it is that beckons so, speak up and be heard. I do know, that after hours of rehearsals, it isn't the blinding lights!

7 comments:

Sky said...

I just like being able to be someone else, and usually you get to wear awesome costumes...other times they are not so great...but I just like the idea of being on a stage or in front of a camera. I just find it fun and some times amusing to watch people act like they are someone else who you know they are not!

Anna E. P. said...

All the skits/plays I have been in I have not worn great costumes; so I would say the fun of it for me is saying my lines then seeing how the audience reacts. There is something about being on stage and seeing all these faces that are waiting to see what will be done or said next.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I just like being/acting goofy/stupid. I also like the costumes.

Eucharisto said...

I'm actually going to be acting in a play at a local church in April. The play is called Charlie's Aunt, and is very similar to the ideas around The Importance Of Being Earnest.
But anyway, to get to the point, I think inhabiting the character of another person is what attracts us. It gives us an out to our ordinary lives, and allows us to be something new and interesting. Just a thought.
BTW, there's this cool Christian Arts camp in Indiana this July. They offer a month of professional training for the course you go into. They offer all manner of study in any instrument in the orchestra, and they have a running orchestra of students while there. They also have theatre, which I did in '03, and it was really fun.
Check them out href="http://www.masterworksfestival.org">here.

Eucharisto said...

I guess you can't put hyperlinks in a comment. Oh well. Check out the link anyway.

Unknown said...

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been here. Represent.

Claire said...

thanks for posting. it isnt so much church but the christian union that i go to - people my age. it's a bit cynical really, maybe they are just not like me!!!

anyway i hope the play goes well. we used to do church pantos all the time, and i i loved it!

l-a