Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Onion-Yum!

(I apologize for the lack of photographs accompanying this post, it was so yummy, I ate it before I had time to realize what I'd done)

I was hungry, but all I had that was easy was Ramen noodles, which I wasn't feeling, so I commandeered one of my mother's onions and went to town. OH MERCY. It was delicious.


And now you can experience it for yourself:


1 yellow onion, chopped (the sweeter the disposition, the better)

1 tbsp crushed cumin

2 tsps curry power

1 tbsp raw cane sugar

1 heaping tbsp of fresh minced garlic

1/4 cup slivered almonds (sliver me almonds matey!)

1/4 cup sunflower seeds (not salted)

1/4 stick of butter

(chick peas could also be really great in this, just saying)


Sautee onions on medium heat in butter and seasonings for 15 minutes (or until they have become quite sqishy and carmelly). If it becomes dry, add more butter or a bit of olive oil.


About seasoning to taste: Keep in mind that you may prefer some of the seasonings more than others, so if you're going for a sweet curry flavor, add some more sugar, if you want a biting-warm curry flavor, stick with more cumin. Either way, it's great.


Add sunflower seeds and almonds, stir, cover and simmer for a few more minutes, just long enough for the nuts and seeds to become slightly softened and soak up a bit of the flavors.


Enjoy!

No comments: