Monday, September 08, 2008

What I'm about-Part III

A couple of nights ago, I looked up into the blue midnight velvet to see the diamonds. The big dipper looked so close, like I could touch it and send the stars flying out in every direction. When I was little, I remember having a dream that I could be scooped up in the big dipper and it could carry me across the sky. I think of this every time I look up into the night sky. being able to see into space, to see the stars, reminds me that there is so much more going on than what I can immediately see and experience. I am able then to realize my own smallness in those moments.
This hasn't really related to art yet at all. Well, maybe it has. THis is my reaction to viewing a work of art. The sky is a very effective backdrop for viewing God's ever-evolving pictures. And isn't art supposed to make us think? And remember? And communicate a truth/beauty?
I want to always feel as alive as I did last night. I want to do the sort of spontaneous things that emphasize with every breath that I am living, breathing. I feel this most clearly if I am caught in the rain or out running around playing late at night with friends. I love the night.

"Night time sharpens, heightens each sensation,
Darkness wakes and stirs imagination"
-Charles Hart/ Andrew Lloyd Webber The Music of the Night from The Phantom of the Opera

Of course, I love the day time. Especially in Autumn.
I love walking on the same stones in castles and courtyards where queens and kings have lived their lives. It is placing your feet on hundreds of years of human experience. Learning what you can from the mistakes and successes they had. Realizing that I have the same limitations, weaknesses, abilities, and possibilities that they did.
I wish I could smell honeysuckles in the Autumn-time. That would probably be a glimpse of heaven for me.
I love the works of Hawthorne. Human nature, redemption, love, beauty, freedom, art, change, being, community, humanity.
I saw a Shakespeare play under the stars last night. I t was enjoyable, and I have a new-found appreciation for liberties in others' interpretations, but how much better was the communion of friends!? People need to be with people. I'm so glad God created us this way. "No man is an island," but if he is, he shouldn't be. Life is not meant to be lived/interpreted/sustained alone.

No comments: